High School Senior Portraits
John Giolas Photographers has created treasured portraits of high school seniors since 1958.
How to prepare for your session:
- Decide which session you want, check out the session information elsewehere in this website or call the studio for details. For Andrean, Lake Central and Merrillville High School Seniors -Please call ASAP to schedule your appointment. Convenient session times can fill up fast before the yearbook deadline (which could be in the fall of a student's senior year). Check with your school, it's website or listen to announcements for your school's deadline. Any student photographed after his or her school's deadline will not be in the yearbook.
- Call 219-769-7934 to schedule your session
- All applicable session fees need to be pre-paid at the time of scheduling.
What You Can Expect At Your Session:
- First, expect to have a great time, because we will do our best to make sure you will. It's OK to be a little nervous at first, but you'll soon relax with our easy-going manner and creative photography.
- Plan on arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled time to make sure your hair and clothing are ready to go. You can tell us which backgrounds, poses an photographic styles you like best. Remember, we want you to have fun - and being late will only result in you feeling rushed and less time spent on your photography. Besides, if you arrive late you may have to reschedule for another day to be photographed.
- Wear one of your outfits when you arrive for your session, if possible, to save time. Most of the time, it's a good idea to wear the one that you want for your yearbook portrait first. It's OK to bring more than the recommended number of outfits if you're not sure what would look best. We will offer an opinion if you want, but we can only photograph you in as many outfits as your session choice allows.
- If you're unsure of something or have any questions before or during your session, PLEASE ASK! We want you to feel comfortable so you can get great senior portraits.
- Session may take 10 minutes to several hours, depending on which one you choose
- Your previews will be ready after 12noon the next business day, unless noted otherwise
What Do I Wear? When choosing your outfits, keep in mind the most important thing is that you like them. You'll want to bring as much variety as possible. Most seniors prefer wearing both casual and dressy outfits. Bring more outfits than needed, our photographer can help you decide. Note: your school may have a dress code for the yearbook portrait.
GUYS - for the more traditional portraits we recommend a suit or sport coat with a shirt and tie. For the yearbook poses, avoid medium bluish-gray outfits. They can blend in to the background. Black, white, burgundy, brown or dark green are among the suggested outfit color choices. Medium to dark sweaters photograph well. If you choose the Yearbook Basic or Regular sessions, we will only photograph your upper body. For the Custom Session, your casual or second outfit should be complete head to toe, because the legs will show in your portraits (but NOT your shoes). For the Deluxe and Ultra sessions wear the complete head to toe outfits also. In this way, we can take a larger variety of poses. For casual photos wear what best suits your personality like jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, shorts, sweatshirts, sports uniforms etc. If you do bring shorts bring jeans or long pants also. Darker sports uniforms usually photograph better. Make sure shirt collars are the right size, we cannot correct for improperly fitting clothing.
GIRLS - bring the colors and outfits you feel best in. For the yearbook poses, avoid medium bluish-gray outfits. They can blend in to the background. Black, white, burgundy, brown or dark green are among the suggested outfit color choices. Medium to dark sweaters photograph well. If you choose the Yearbook Basic or Regular sessions, we will only photograph your upper body. Bring dresses (even formals), and sweaters for the more traditional look. If you like an outfit, it's probably because you look good in it, so make sure you bring it! Long-sleeved tops are best for the yearbook poses. Sleeveless or very short/cap sleeved shirts can be much less flattering, or even prohibited by your school's dress code.
SHOES - Often shoes will show, so they should complement your clothing; changes may be necessary with different clothing styles. Don't forget the proper socks. You may also pose barefoot for some.
What Else Can I Bring? It's up to you. Note that NO props of any kind whatsoever are permitted with the Yearbook Basic, Regular or Custom sessions! For the Deluxe Session, you may bring a limited number of simple props. For drum sets, large numbers of props or complicated props, you are required to schedule for an Ultra session. Bring your musical instrument, pet(make sure you have someone to take care of your pet for the entire duration of your session), sunglasses, favorite hat, letter jacket, uniform, sports props, textbooks, xbox, play station, Wii, palques, trophies, medals, ribbons, certificates or ANYTHING else you feel would show off the real you. Don't forget other activities too: collectibles, swim suit, iPod, fishing or skiing gear. No idea is too crazy, and since we'll only try a few poses with it, you have nothing to lose. Again, some of these may require the Ultra Sitting. No props at all with the Custom or smaller sittings.
Can I Bring Someone With Me? Absolutely! Some people find it more comfortable to bring Mom or Dad, a friend, brother or sister along to help ease the "camera room jitters." You are welcome to bring someone with you, but because of space limitations we may limit the number of people who accompany you in the camera room.
What About A Suntan? Too much sun darkens your skin unnaturally, drys out your hair, makes skin appear shiny and greasy and shows bags under your eyes. Strap marks will show as white marks on draped poses or bare shoulder poses. Keep your tan even. Don't overdo the sun for a portrait; it looks great, but use in moderation. Sunburn or windburn is a real problem - cancel your appointment if this is the case.
What About My Hair, Make-Up, Glasses, Jewelry? HAIR - Try to have your haircut and/or perm at least one week before your session, to give it a chance to "fill in" a little. Don't try a radically different haircut or style - chances are you won't feel it expresses the "real you." Athletes - put off shaving your head until after your portraits have been taken. Remember, we are not responsible for hair corrections.
MAKE-UP - You will have to pay extra retouching fees for correcting pearl, metallic or glitter makeup.
GLASSES - If you wear glasses most of the time, you'll want to wear them in your portraits. To eliminate glare and reflections, call your optician and arrange to borrow a pair of empty frames like yours, or have the lenses removed from your own glasses. Some opticians will gladly do this for free (make sure you give them plenty of notice, though). This totally eliminates glare and distortions and is the most important way to improve your portraits if you wear glasses. It doesn't take much effort - and it sure makes your pictures look better! Remember we are not responsible for glass glare.
JEWELRY - Avoid wearing flat jewelry. It can cause glare. But DON'T forget your class ring.
Checklist To Bring:
- Sports Outfit & Equipment
- Stuffed Animals
- Hobby Items
- Letter Jacket
- Class Ring
- Sun Outfit
- Dress Glasses
- Car - (call for current car session fee add-on price)
Note: Some of the above require the Ultra Session and/or an additional session change.
How To Order Your Senior Portraits:
- Within fourteen days after receiving the previews, please call to set up a preview return appointment to place an order.
- When you order, you need to: choose your poses, have an idea of what sizes and quantities are needed/or which package you want, half of the balance is due at the time of ordering.
- Normal delivery time for your finished portraits is up to eight weeks, but can vary by season.
We reserve the right to schedule you to return for a different day if you do not have a preview return appointment.When you order, you need to:
- Decide which poses you want
- Have an appointment. Place 50% deposit to start order
- Have senior student along to sign form for signature on wallets if desired
- Normal delivery time of your finished portraits is up to eight weeks, but can vary by season.
- What to expect at your Senior Portrait session
- Andrean Senior Yearbook Portrait Dress Code
- Merrillville Senior Yearbook Portrait Dress Code
- Lake Central HS Dress Code